Thursday, June 19, 2008

Welcome

Hello everyone.

I started this blog out of frustration.

As of right now, I am out about $1400.00 due to repairs I had to pay for because my extended warranty company, Automotive Professionals Inc. (API) went bankrupt, and my dealer, Doyle Chevrolet, in Webster NY, refused to take care of the cost of those repairs, even though I purchased the vehicle and service plan through them. To make matters worst, I am still paying for this vehicle, a 2003 Chevrolet Venture van, and a good chunk of each of those monthly payments represents the cost of the service plan, which I can no longer take advantage of. It's a constant reminder to me every month that I'm being "screwed" by this situation.

While I can't blame Doyle Chevrolet for API's demise, I think they could've done the right thing on this and taken care of the repairs on my vehicle. My family has been purchasing vehicles from Doyle Chevrolet for many years, however I'm hard pressed at this point to consider making any future purchases there, based soley on how they handled this situation.

I was told by Doyle Chevrolet that I could pay for my repairs, and they in turn would throw my paid invoice on a stack of other paid invoices, all in the hopes of being reimbursed when the bankruptcy precedings were completed. I elected to take my repair needs to a family friend who runs a shop instead, as he didn't charge me near as much as my dealer would've for the same repairs. I'm saving my receipts, and I hope to be reimbursed, if and when this nightmare comes to an end.

I'd like to hear from anyone who had an API contract, especially from any of you who reside in the Rochester NY area. Based on the list of people I looked at on the bankruptcy website, there are quite a few of us in the Greater Rochester area.

Please feel free to comment.

Jeremy

7 comments:

GoldenMouse said...

I bought a contract from Jim Culligan in Williamsville, NY (near Buffalo) in 2002. I'm now trying to request my GPR refund. When I called API claims, the recording says to fax the request to 1-847-519-4519. Does anyone know where this fax is going, and has anyone gotten a response from this number?
Anybody have any info on a class action lawsuit. Can we included the car dealers because they sold us a bad service and they profitted from it.

Unknown said...

I'm in the same boat. Just filed for my $1300 GPR refund. What a scam.

Unknown said...

Here's the bankruptcy handling website:

http://www.apibankruptcy.com/

Still no info on GPR claims. Make sure to send in your GPR claim via certified/registered mail so you have evidence of them receiving the info.

skaggster said...

Yep, same thing happened to us we went to cash in on our warranty and Griffith motors the company that sold us the warranty will not honor the warranty. API sold over 300,000 warrantys. Grifith Motors is claiming poor us, but what about all the people that they sold warantys to? I bet they were able to keep there commision at least.

GoldenMouse said...

I mailed a complaint to the NY Attorney General asking them to look into why the underwriters (insurance companies) are not obligated to pay out the GPR claims. I'm still waiting for a respones. I would recommend other people to the same thing.

GoldenMouse said...

Here's the link to file a complaint with the NY AG:
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/bureaus/consumer_frauds/filing_a_consumer_complaint.html
Make sure to give them info on the car dealer who sold you the policy and info on the underwriter of your policy.

snakesdjf said...

I recently looked at the updated API banruptcy site. If I am interpreting this correctly is it true that I we had an API warranty backed by Marathan Ins co, in the state of NY they dont have to reimburse claims? I got suckered into API back in 2005 when buying a Saturn. DCH saturn honored it for a while since I bought the car from them, however they couldnt do it anymore because they werent getting there money back from API. And of course the dealership DCH Saturn closed there doors as well. any info would be helpful. thank you Dave